Floyd County Indiana Superior Court 3
Honorable Maria D. Granger is the first judge to preside over Floyd Superior Court 3 created in 2008 under Indiana Code 33-33-22-2 and founded upon fundamental notions of integrity, fairness and respect for all. The court has general jurisdiction and decides civil and criminal cases. Matters not regularly heard by the court include estates and trusts and small claims.
Veterans Court Founder
Judge Granger is the founder and Supervising Judge of the Veterans Court of Southern Indiana, a Certified Problem-Solving Court serving Floyd, Clark, and Scott counties and is also Indiana’s model Veterans Court. Since 2011, court-involved Veterans have received appropriate treatment and assistance to readjust to civilian life after multiple deployments of military service. Veterans pay for the cost of mental health and substance abuse treatment with their earned benefits.
Public Access and Safety
In 2015, Judge Granger led two major efforts: 1) making protection orders available, through a public access terminal located in a safe zone near the jail, during weekends and holidays when family violence is likely to occur; and 2) changing probation policy in response to the opiate epidemic and mental health crisis. Individuals on intensive probation have increased supervision, quicker access to mental health and substance abuse treatment and supportive rehabilitation through immediate rewards and sanctions.
The Indiana Supreme Court appointed Judge Granger in 2016 to preside over complex business disputes throughout Indiana. The Commercial Court aims for more efficiency, less expense and better outcomes in business cases to encourage successful businesses to locate in Indiana with the hopes of bringing positive economic development and quality employment to our citizens.
All of these programs are funded with grants not taxpayer money.
About Judge Maria D. Granger
Judge Granger’s experience and education includes:
· January 2016 to present - Commercial Court Judge, Indiana Supreme Court Appointment
· November 2011 to- present - Supervising Judge, Veterans Court of Southern Indiana
· January 2009 to present - Floyd Superior Court Judge
· January 2005 to December 2009 - Title IV-D Referee
· Fall 2001 to Fall 2005 - Adjunct Professor Indiana University Southeast
· August 2000 to December 2009 – Attorney in general practice
· May 1997 to May 1999 - Attorney for the Floyd County Office of Family and Children
· May 1995 to August 2000 - Deputy Prosecuting Attorney in Clark and Floyd Counties
· October 1994 - Admitted to law practice, Indiana Supreme Court and U.S. District Court, Northern and Southern Districts
· September 2012 - Indiana Judicial College Graduate
· May 1994 - Doctorate of Jurisprudence, IU McKinney School of Law
· December 1990 – Bachelor of Science, Indiana University
Judge Granger speaks to community groups about the courts, law and ethics and the legal system. She also serves as faculty for the Indiana Judicial Conference and has taught the following courses for Indiana judges, legislators, lawyers, journalists, historians and court staff:
· 2016; 2015 - “Veterans Court Summit,” Indiana Supreme Court.
· 2016 - “Modernizing Indiana Courts: Commercial Courts Open for Business,” Indiana Supreme Court.
· 2016 - “Commercial Courts Coming to a Courthouse Near You,” Indiana State Bar Association.
· 2016 - “Jury Administrator’s Roundtable,” Annual Clerk/Court Conference, Indiana Judicial College.
· 2016 - “Jury Selection,” Indiana Judicial College; Indiana Judicial College.
· 2015 – “Equal Employment Law,” Indiana Civil Rights Commission.
· 2015 - “Courtroom Demeanor,” General Jurisdiction Training; Indiana Judicial College.
· 2015; 2014; 2013; 2012 – “Getting Know Your Lemon –Implicit Bias and Fairness,” General Jurisdiction Training; Indiana Judicial College.
· 2015; 2014 - “Veterans Court,” Battlemind to Home Symposium; Military Family Research Institute (MFRI).
· 2014 - “Veterans Courts,” Law School for Legislators; Indiana Supreme Court.
· 2015; 2014; 2013 - “Veterans Court,” Leadership Development Academy (LDA); Indiana State Bar Association
· 2013 - “Courtroom Demeanor,” City and Town Court Conference; Indiana Judicial College.
· 2013 - “Pioneer Justice,” Annual Judicial Conference; Indiana Judicial College.
· 2013; 2012; 2011; 2010 - “New Legislation,” Annual Judicial Conference; Indiana Judicial College.
· 2012 - “Pioneer Justice” A Progressive Journey through Indiana History Conference.
· 2012 - “Pioneer Justice,” Supreme Court Lecture Series; Indiana Supreme Court.
· 2012 - “Veterans Initiatives Indiana,” Annual Judicial Conference; Indiana Judicial College.
· 2012 - “Mental Health Issues and Veterans in Criminal Courts,” Law School for Journalists, Indiana Supreme Court.
· 2011 - , “The Sentencing Hearing & Sentencing Considerations” and “The Sentencing Decision & the Sentence on Appeal,” Annual Judicial Conference; Indiana Judicial College.
· 2011 - “Indiana Supreme Court History,” Annual Judicial Conference; Indiana Judicial College.
· 2010 - “Transition to the Bench, Employment and Personnel Issues,” Judge Orientation; Indiana Judicial College.
Judge Granger has been recognized:
· 2016 Author, Indiana Veterans Courts Judge Maria Granger Shares Her Thoughts. Indiana Court Times: Indiana Supreme Court State Court Administration
· 2016 Special Guest of Senator Joe Donnelly for State of the Union Address by President Barack Obama for pioneering the development of Veterans Courts in Indiana
· 2016 appointed by Indiana Supreme Court to the Commercial Court
· 2016 Indiana Bar Foundation Director
· 2016 Public Interest Law Award, IU McKinney School of Law
· 2015 Recognized by the Chief Justice of Indiana Loretta H. Rush in the State of the Judiciary Address to the Indiana General Assembly for establishing Veterans Court and promoting the Constitutional promise of reformative justice in Indiana
· 2015 Elected to the American Law Institute
· 2015 Chairman’s Award, Life Spring Foundation
· 2014 Public Service Award, The Center for Women and Families
· 2013 Author, Veterans Court: Restorative Justice. Indiana Court Times; Indiana Supreme Court State Court Administration
· 2013 Indiana Humanities Board of Directors, appointed by Governor Mike Pence
· 2012 Recognized by the Chief Justice of Indiana Randall T. Shepard for commitment to higher education and ensuring justice to Indiana citizens
· 2010 Certificate of Appreciation by Indiana Supreme Court for service as Advisory Board member for Indiana Conference on Legal Education Opportunity
· Contributing Author, Justices of the Indiana Supreme Court. Indianapolis: Indiana Historical Press Society in cooperation with the Indiana Supreme Court, 2010
· Contributing Author, Indiana Jury Bench Book. Indianapolis: Indiana Judicial Center, 2011
· 2009 Earl T. Shinhoster Award
· 2006 Woman of Achievement
Judge Granger is a member of Judicial Organizations:
· American Law Institute
· Indiana Commercial Court Working Group
· Board of Directors, Indiana Judicial Conference
· Indiana Supreme Court Records Committee
· Indiana Bar Foundation Board of Directors
· Chairperson, Jury Committee of the Indiana Judicial Conference
· Civil Instructions Committee of the Indiana Judges Association
· Military Veterans Affairs Committee
· Sherman Minton Inn of Court
· Indiana Judges Association
· American Judicature Society
· Indiana State Bar Associations
· Floyd County Bar Association
· Faculty Judge for "We The People", providing civil education to Floyd County Middle and High School students