Floyd County Highway and Public Works
The Department of Highway and Public Works provides maintenance for the County’s roads, bridges, storm water, government facilities, and other infrastructure systems. The goal of the department is to strive to ensure safety and provide cost effective maintenance of the existing systems.
Floyd County Indiana Road Closures
3609-3614 Lawrence Banet Road will be closed tomorrow December 9 from 9am – 4pm to all through traffic.
Multi-Use Facility Plan Information
The Highway and Public Works Department is divided into the following divisions.
The Floyd County Highway Department is responsible for the repair of all Floyd County bridges and patching of all county roads and highways. The Highway Department paints lines on roads, removes snow and debris from county roads and is responsible for cutting grass along county roadsides and county highways.
*Please note: The Floyd County Highway Department is responsible for County roads and not for streets within City limits. Please contact the City of New Albany Street Department concerning city streets.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to report a Pothole on a county road
Citizens can report a pothole or other road hazard by calling the Highway Dept. at 812.948.5466 or send an email to email@example.com.
The Floyd County Highway Department is responsible for the repair of all Floyd County bridges and patching of all county roads and highways.*
*Please note the Floyd County Highway Department is responsible for County roads and not for streets within the City of New Albany limits. Please contact the City of New Albany Street Department concerning potholes on city streets.
How to submit a Limb Pickup Request
Floyd County Indiana Tree Limb Policy
The Floyd County Highway Department is responsible for keeping limbs picked up along Floyd County Road easements.
Floyd County Limb Policy Guide Lines:
Floyd county Residents may call the Floyd County Highway Department to pick up limbs from storm damage only at their address. Limbs should be placed along roadside in several piles with cut edge out for chipper. Limbs should not exceed 5" in diameter (so not to DAMAGE the Chipper).
Items that the chipper will not take:
- Yard Waste Leaves
- Limbs with fencing in it
- No Limbs exceeding 5" in Diameter
- Evergreen Limbs etc. (This will Damage the Chipper)
Floyd County Policy Concerning Contractors/Tree Services/Residents clearing off property.
- Floyd County will not pick up contractors debris from clearing off lots.
- Floyd County will not pick up debris after tree services that are working for a resident of Floyd County.
- Floyd County will not pick up debris from a resident that pays someone to clear their property.
- Floyd County will not pick up large amounts of debris from residents just because they cleaned it up, this would be responsibility of the property owner.
- Floyd County has the right to refuse limbs in cases of abuse to the Floyd County Limb policy.
-Floyd County Commissioners
How to report dead animals on the roadway
Please contact the Floyd County Highway Department to report dead animals on county roadways.
Please Note: Only large animals that block traffic flow will be removed.
How to report problems with highways & interstates
Any issues with highways or interstates should be directed to INDOT 1-877-305-7611. If you live within the City of New Albany limits you may call New Albany City Garage 812-948-5352 with any questions or concerns.
Road and Bridge Maintenance
The Department of Highway and Public Works provides maintenance for 715 lane miles of county roads within its jurisdiction. It also provides maintenance for 88 bridges, 14.4 miles of storm water drainage pipes, and 915 drainage catch basins.
The department has provided jurisdictional (township) maps to assist residents in determining if their road is within the County’s jurisdictional control. A resident can also call 812.948.5466 for assistance.
Floyd County Jurisdictional (Township) Maps
- Lafayette Township
- Franklin Township
- Georgetown Township
- Greenville Township
- New Albany Township
- Floyd County Map
The department also maintains a paving and bridge asset management plan. Click on the following links to review the paving asset management plan, paving asset management plan inventory and the bridge asset management plan.
Floyd County’s priority list for paving projects
- Priority One – Minor Arterial, Major Collector, and Minor Collector Roads
- Priority Two – Local Roads rated 4 or below
- Priority Three – Subdivision Roads rated 4 or below
- Priority Four – Local Roads rated 5
- Priority Five – Subdivision Roads rated 5
The department also provides snow removal operations during inclement weather.
Contact Floyd County Highway Department
812.923.3041 / 812.923.6274
- Citizens can report a pothole or other road hazard by calling the Highway Dept. at 812.948.5466 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Floyd County Building & Development serves as the clearinghouse for coordinating nuisance properties. Citizens can report a nuisance issue by email: email@example.com or 812.981.7611
- Citizens can report issues related to noise or sound complaints to the Floyd County Sheriff office 812.948.5400
- Citizens requesting zoning property classification or other zoning, building and subdivision questions can call the Floyd County Building & Development at 812.981.7611