Building and Development Services
COVID-19 Permit Policy
In an effort to still provide service while protecting the public and employees, our office is limiting person-to-person interactions and is transitioning to an online only permit process. The process is as follows:
- Complete permit application form and email to email@example.com (10 MB Size limit. If you do not receive a confirmation from our office, contact us immediately and we can find an alternative option)
- Payment can be made online (https://heartlandpaymentservices.net/WebPayments/FloydCountyBuildingandDevelopment/bills) or via mailed check, to 2524 Corydon Pike Suite 203 New Albany IN 47150. CashWILL NOT be accepted. Permits will not be issued until payment has been received. Please note, a 3% service charge is applied to all card/online payments.
- Permit review and issuance will occur via email*.
*Note: do not pay before permit is ready to be issued. Our office will notify you when payment can be accepted.”
- ·Beginning on Monday, 3/23/20 our office will begin to offer inspection scheduling via email or phone. To schedule via phone, please call 812-981-7611 and leave a detailed voice message. A member from our office will contact you to confirm.
- ·Our office will not perform an inspection with any other individual on site. We reserve the right to cancel or reschedule any inspection if our staff feel uncomfortable or unsafe.
- Please call 812-981-7611 and leave a detailed message regarding which staff member you need to speak with and detailed contact information. That staff member will return your call as soon as possible.
Please understand that these policy changes could change at any moment. We will do our best to keep you informed as events continue to evolve. Thank you for your understanding.
The Floyd County Board of Commissioners re-established the Building and Development Services Department on January 2, 2018. The department’s mission is to provide efficient, effective and prompt service to residents of Floyd County interested in constructing, renovating, or rehabilitating residential and/or commercial structures.
Please refer back to this webpage periodically as there may be changes as the department proceeds with its reorganization.
Before you Build
1) Know Your Zoning District
2) Know Your Development Standards
Check out our Development Standards Guide or the Floyd County Zoning Ordinance (See in Documents & Applications Below)
3) Contact the Health Department
If your property has an existing on-site septic system or is going to use an on-site septic system, contact the Floyd County Health Department at 812-948-4726 or visit them at 1917 Bono Road New Albany, IN 47150.
4) Permit Application and Required Documents
Check out the Residential Building Permit Process or the Commercial Building Permit Process for a list of required information for each application (See in Documents & Applications Below). For a complete list of applications and helpful documents, click .
5) Still Have Questions?
Building Permit and Inspection Results Inquiry
If you would like to view inspection results or information related to an existing permit please click on the link provided below. Please note: Inspection results should be available within 24 hours of actual inspection.
To obtain a building permit in Floyd County for a new Single Family Dwelling, Addition, Renovation/Rehab or Accessory Structure, please review the following list and submit the required information to the Department of Building and Development Services. Please allow up to 2 days for a permit to be issued.
2. Health Department Approval or Sewer Tap-in Receipt
•For New Dwellings: Septic Permit or Sewer Tap-in Receipt
•For Accessory Structures/Rehabs/Additions: FCHD Site Approval Permit (if septic is on site)
3. Site Plan Detailing:
• All Property lines & streets
• Location and size of all existing and proposed structures
• Setback distances from proposed structure to property lines and County right-of-way
• The location of all existing and proposed driveways
• The location of all drainage, utility, and road easements located on the property
• Arrows indicating direction of post-construction water drainage
• North arrow
Note: Applications for new single family dwellings require a site plan from an Indiana Licensed
Surveyor or Engineer
4. Copy of Recorded Deed or Purchase Contract
5. Building Plans Detailing:
• Elevations (front, back, both sides)
• Wall Section (cross-section), Stairway Detail, Deck Construction Details (if applicable)
• Door and window detail
• Foundation Plan
• Floor Plans for each level of building
For Manufactured Homes
• Pictures of HUD Data Plate and Data Label; or Indiana Modular/Mobile Insignia floor plans
• Pier layout tie-down/anchoring specifications
Online Submission: To submit permit electronically, follow instructions within form. Adobe Acrobat is required for digital signature. Email client also required. Please limit permit size to 10 MB.