Floyd County Septic System Information
The Floyd County Health Department's Onsite Sewage System Program is governed by Rule 410 IAC 6-8.3 and local ordinances. Our department issues permits and conducts inspections for:
- Residential and commercial onsite sewage systems (new construction and repair);
- Site approvals (exterior construction i.e. swimming pools, outbuildings, additions, underground utilites, etc; and
- Loan approvals (sale of a home).
Please see below for more information about the inspections we conduct and required forms and documents. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 812-948-4726, option 2, option 1, or email us at email@example.com.
Residential Onsite Sewage Systems:
- Rule 410 IAC 6-8.3
- Floyd County Ordinance
- Greenville Ordinance
- Georgetown Ordinance
- Sand-lined Systems
LIST OF CONTRACTORS:
- Registered Soil Scientists
- Licensed Septic Installers
- Licensed Surveyors/Engineers
- Installers Providing Locating Services
- Licensed Pumpers/Haulers
**Property owners that are getting ready to build a new home in Floyd County should review the Homeowner Information Packet listed below and can select contractors from our “List of Contractors” section.
* Documents can be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your septic system is doing any of the following, please immediately notify FCHD and contact one of our Licensed Septic Installers to assess your system:
- Septic System is leaking to the ground’s surface
- Interior plumbing is draining slow or backing up into home
- Alarm on pump is alerting you of an issue (Pump Replacements are only to be done by a Licensed Septic Installer)
* The Licensed Septic Installer will then coordinate with our office to come up with a solution for your property.
* Floyd County Health Department requires permits ($75.00 fee) for most repairs to your septic system and/or replacement septic system, including pump replacements.
* For financial hardships, you can visit the USDA Rural Grant/Loan website website to see if you qualify for assistance.
- If any of the scenarios below apply to you, please contact the Floyd County Health Department at 812-948-4726, option 2, option 1 for more information.
- Replacing an existing mobile home with a new, mobile home
- Building a new home and trying to connect to existing septic system
- Moving a portion of an existing septic system to accommodate a new structure (i.e. swimming pool, deck, garage, etc.)
- Wanting to tie in washer lines into an existing lateral field
- Existing structure damaged by fire, hail, tornado, or other natural disaster and wanting to re-build or replace structure
**You can request a record of your septic system by completing our Request for Public Records Form and emailing or faxing it to our office. Please Note: Our office only has septic records dated back to 1974.
(Please be sure to read the requirements and stipulations of the inspection process prior to submitting application):
- Site Approval Application (for construction of outbuilding, swimming pool, garage, fence, underground utilities, etc).
- If remodeling a home and adding a bedroom(s), call the Health Department at 812-948-4726, option 2, option 1 for a consultation.
Becoming a Licensed Septic Installer
If you would like to become one of our licensed septic installers, our department offers an Installers Test (based off Indiana Rule 410 IAC 6-8.3 and is offered in three different sections (Gravity, Flood-Dosed, and Elevated Sand Mound). You can choose to take one or all of the sections. The exam is closed-book and you must score at least 82% to pass. If you do not pass, you must wait 30 days to re-take the exam. To help study for the exam, you can also visit IOWPA’s website and take their practice exam.
- Our department also honors the IOWPA exam in lieu of taking FCHD’s exam. Our department requires a copy of your IOWPA certification prior to issuing the Installer’s License.
- To become licensed in one of the Sand-lined system technologies or Subsurface Drip, you must contact that manufacturer to receive training. Once you have received certification, our department will require a copy of the certificate to keep on file.
- License Fees are $100.00 and are valid from August 1st to July 31st of each calendar year. A late fee of ½ the license fee will be assessed if payment is not received in the renewal time frame.
- Our department also requires site plans from Installers on sites were a licensed engineer/surveyor is not required. An example site plan is listed below.