Free Computer Classes
Software Freedom Day is September 16, 2017, and during September 2017 the New Albany-Floyd County Public Library’s computer classes will explore free software alternatives to Microsoft Office and more. Free and open source software gives users the freedom to access, study, and modify it. The software programs covered in these classes are free for people to use, and they are a good alternative for those who may not be able to purchase Microsoft Office. Class instructor Roy Chilton will have LibreOffice Writer and LibreOffice Calc available to take home for those who attend (please bring a flash drive). To register for any of the following free classes, please visit the Reference Services Desk or call 812-949-3523.Things every Computer User should know how to doTuesday, September 5, 6:30-8:00 PM
Come to class and learn some essentials that everyone who uses a computer should know how to do.
- Ubuntu Linux: An Introduction Thursday, September 7, 6:30-8:00 PMAn alternative to the Windows and Mac operating systems. Come learn some basics of this free and open source operating system for your PC.
- LibreOffice Writer Level 1Tuesday, September 12, 6:30-8:00 PMCelebrate Software Freedom while learning about LibreOffice Writer, a free downloadable program you can use in place of Microsoft Word. Bring a flash drive to class and get a free copy of the program. Learn the basics of word processing using LibreOffice Writer. Topics include: creating a new document; editing a saved document; changing the appearance of text; and copy and paste.
- LibreOffice Writer Level 2Thursday, September 14, 6:30-8:00 PMBuild on the skills you learned in LibreOffice Writer Level 1. Topics include: indents; tab spacing; margins; line spacing; search and replace; and replacing text.
- LibreOffice Calc Level 1Tuesday, September 19, 6:30-8:00 PMLearn the basics of LibreOffice Calc. You can use this free program in place of Microsoft Excel. Topics include: rows, columns, cells, and cell addressing; text vs. numbers; entering formulas; relative vs. absolute cell addressing; and functions. Bring a flash drive to class and get a free copy of the program.
- LibreOffice Calc Level 2 Thursday, September 21, 6:30-8:00 PMBuild on the skills you learned in LibreOffice Calc Level 1. Topics include: range names vs. absolute cell addressing; using a lookup table; and using the IF function.
- Open Source Alternatives to Commercial SoftwareTuesday, September 26, 6:30-8:00 PM Looking for free alternatives to commercial software? Find out what is available in this class.
Portable Applications: Take Your Software with YouThursday, September 28, 6:30-8:00 PMCome to class and learn about the suite available through LibreOffice that allows you to take your applications with you! This includes a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation tool, drawing package, and database.
|Event Date||09-19-2017 6:30 pm|
|Event End Date||09-19-2017 8:00 pm|