Floyd County Superior Court No. 1:

Floyd Superior Court No. 1 serves the public by providing a fair, accessible, effective and responsive forum to decide civil, criminal and other legal matters with the objective of resolving conflicts efficiently while maintaining confidence in the judiciary and enhancing community values.

The Superior Court is a Court of General Jurisdiction including Felony Criminal cases, Civil Cases, Divorces and Criminal non-Support. Approximately two-thirds of the cases heard in Superior Court are felony criminal matters, and approximately one-third are civil matters.

Superior Court does not hear cases involving probate, trust matters, juvenile cases or small claims.

The Floyd County Superior Court was established in 1978, Under Indiana Code 33-33-22-2. Since the Court’s creation in 1978, three Judges have presided over Floyd Superior Court;

  • Presiding Honorable Susan L. Orth 6/1/04 - Present
  • Honorable Richard G. Striegel 1/1/78 – 5/31/04
  • Honorable Harold Coons 1/1/78 – 12/31/78

Floyd County Superior Court 1
311 Hauss Square
Room 200
New Albany IN 47150

Monday-Friday 8am - 4pm

Holiday Calendar

Need driving directions to this office?

Fax #812-941-

Judge Orth and her staff have a combined experience of over 75 years of public service.

Susan L. Orth - Superior Court Judge

Cindy Klusmeier - Official Court Reporter/Assistant Bailiff

Dianna Borden - Court Reporter/Bailiff

Shawna Clemons - Bailiff/Asst. Court Reporter

Julia L. Stewart
Administrative Assistant
Assistant Bailiff
Assistant Court Reporter

Superior Court 1 Adult Probation Dept.

Rexann Farris - Chief Probation Officer
Gary Collins – Division Chief
Mary Wright – Adult Probation Officer
Kelly Deuser – Adult Probation Officer
Clare Banet – Adult Probation Officer
Shallon Alford – Admin. Assistant
William Eastridge – Admin. Assistant
Brandi Nevins – Admin. Assistant
Paula Chandler – Admin. Assistant
Janice Walther - Admin. Assistant

Floyd County Local Rules

Indiana Self-Suffciency Legal Center

Indiana Civil Protection Order

Indiana No Contact Order

Workplace Violence Restraining Orders

Child Support Guidelines

Child Support Calculator

Judge Susan L. Orth
Floyd Superior Court No. 1 Judge

  • Admitted to practice law by the Kentucky Supreme Court in 1986 and the Indiana Supreme Court in 1987,
  • Graduated from Salmon P. Chase College of Law in 1985,
  • Obtained her Master’s Degree in Criminal Justice Administration from the University of Louisville in 1982,
  • Graduated from Indiana State University in 1981 with degrees in both Political Science and Psychology.

Judge Orth is a member of the Community Relations Committee of the Judicial Conference of Indiana, and, is a Member of the Indiana State Board of Law Examiners Character and Fitness Committee.  She is a Certified Mediator in both Family and Civil Law and chairs the Indiana Court Staff Personnel Committee.

Judge Orth presides over the Forensic Diversion Program. The Floyd County Forensic Diversion Program is a court-supervised treatment referral program for defendants who have a mental illness and addictive behavior and who have been arrested for a non-violent offense.

She serves as a Faculty panel member for the Indiana Judicial Center instructing newly appointed and elected Judges. Courses she has taught include;

  • Transition to the Bench and the Impact of the Code of Judicial Conduct
  • Employment and Personnel Issues
  • Ethical Issues: Political Activity and Judicial Outreach
  • Ethical Issues: Disqualifications and Ex-Parte Contacts
Judge Orth is a member of the;
  • National Judicial College
  • American Judges Association
  • National Association of Women Judges
  • Floyd County Bar Association
  • Indiana State Bar Association
  • American Bar Association
  • Faculty Judge for "We The People", providing civil education to Floyd County Middle High School students
  • Serves as the 2006/2007 President of the Sherman Minton Inn of Court
  • Floyd County Community Corrections Board
  • Rauch, Inc. President's Advisory Council
She has been recognized as;
  • 2012 Recipient of the “Spirit of the Red Ribbon Award”
  • Business and Professional Women Woman of Achievement Award
  • City of New Albany’s Distinguished Citizen of the Year
  • Who’s Who of American Women
  • FOP Appreciation Award 2010 Shop With a Cop
  • FOP Appreciation Award 2011 Cops for Kids
  • 2006/2007 Leadership Southern Indiana
Judge Orth gives presentations regarding the Judicial Process and related Court issues to classrooms, church groups, social organizations, clubs and neighborhood organizations.

Court Information:

  • Courtroom Attire is business casual.
  • Children cannot accompany parents in the courtroom unless they are being interviewed by the court in a particular case. There are no facilities to care for children. Other appropriate arrangements must be made.
  • Cell Phones and Recording Devices must be turned off at all times while in the courtroom. No photo or recording devices of any kind are permitted.
  • Parking is available in areas around the courthouse. There is a parking garage that charges a fee, 2-hour parking limits on street spaces, and a free parking lot at the Southwest corner of West 2nd and Market Streets across from the New Albany Tribune Office.
  • Security prohibits weapons of any kind in the courtroom and in the building.
  • Jury Phone Line is available by calling our Jury Administrator at Ph#812-981-2761

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q. Can I talk to the Judge about a case?
A. No. The Judge must remain independent, impartial and unbiased to both sides to a dispute throughout all phases of the case. The Judge may not speak with one side without the other side being present. Neither she, nor her staff, is permitted to give legal advice.

Q. How do I get a public defender?
A. You must request a public defender at your initial hearing or in writing. A written request may be handwritten and should set out financial information that establish an inability to hire an attorney.

Q. How long do I have to wait before I can be divorced?
A. You must wait at least 60 days from the date the case is filed. Unless the parties file a written agreement, waiver of rights and decree of dissolution, they will need to request a hearing date to be held after 60 days.

Q. When will my bond money be returned?
A. After a person posts bond in a criminal matter, the bond will be released minus certain Court cost and fees. The remaining bond monies will be released to the person who posted the bond approximately 30 days after a defendant is sentenced or a case is dismissed.

Q. Do I have to hire an attorney?
A. Any person may represent himself or herself in a court without a lawyer. However, this does not make the judge or the court staff your lawyer. You must perform just like a lawyer would perform in gathering evidence and other pertinent information. Neither the Judge nor the court's staff can assist you in preparing or presenting your case. The laws and the rules of evidence remain the same whether you are represented by a lawyer or you represent yourself. The self-help website address is: http://www.in.gov/judiciary/selfservice/forms.html

Q. How do I get a continuance of a court date if I don't have an attorney?
A. You need to request the continuance in writing prior to the court date and provide a copy of that request to the other party in the case. Clearly explain your reasons for the request. Your current address and a phone number should be provided to the Court. You should then contact the Court to see if the continuance has been granted.