Floyd County Circuit Court:

Indiana's Fifty-second Judicial Circuit, consisting of Floyd County, was created by statute in 1889.(I.C.33-4-1-22)The Floyd Circuit Court was established by Article 7, Section 7 of the Constitution of the State of Indiana of 1851 which prescribes a six(6) year term of office without limitations, and requires the Judge to be a resident of Floyd County and admitted to the practice of law in the State of Indiana.

The Floyd Circuit Court has original jurisdiction to preside over all civil and criminal cases. (I.C.33-4-4-3) The Floyd Circuit Court has exclusive jurisdiction in Floyd County over all probate/estate, trust and juvenile cases.
The Floyd Circuit Court is located in room number 413 of the fourth floor of the City County Building, 311 Hauss Square, New Albany, Indiana. The Court's offices and Judge's Chamber are located in room number 417.

The Hon. J. Terrence Cody is the current Judge of Floyd Circuit Court. He was elected in 1998 and his term of office began on January 1, 1999. He was reelected for a second term in 2004. Judge Cody graduated from Xavier University in 1971 and from the Indiana University School of Law - Indianapolis in 1974. He was admitted to the practice of law by the Indiana Supreme Court on October 9, 1974.

Judge Cody is a director of the Indiana Bar Foundation, and Chairman of the Indiana Fourteenth Judicial District Pro Bono Committee. He is also Vice President of the Indiana Judges Association.

Judge Cody is a member of the Floyd County, Indiana State, and American Bar Associations, the American Judicature Society, the Indiana Judges Association, the American Judges Association, the National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges, and the Sherman Minton American Inn of Court.

Court Information:

  • Courtroom Attire is business casual.
  • Children cannot accompany parents in the courtroom unless they are being interviewed by the court in a particular case. There are no facilities to care for children. Other appropriate arrangements must be made.
  • Cell Phones and Recording Devices must be turned off at all times while in the courtroom. No photo or recording devices of any kind are permitted.
  • Parking is available in areas surrounding the courthouse.
  • Security prohibits weapons of any kind in the courtroom and in the building.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q. Can I talk to the Judge about a case?
A. No. The Judge must remain independent, impartial and unbiased to both sides to a dispute throughout all phases of the case. The Judge may not speak with one side without the other side being present. Neither he, nor the Court staff, is permitted to give legal advice.

Q. How do I get a public defender?
A. You must request a public defender at your initial hearing or in writing. A written request may be hand written and should set out financial information that establish an inability to hire an attorney.

Q. How long do I have to wait before I can be divorced?
A. You must wait at least 60 days from the date the case is filed. Unless the parties file a written agreement, waiver of rights and decree of dissolution, they will need to request a hearing date to be held after 60 days.

Q. When will my bond money be returned?
A. After a person posts bond in a criminal matter, the bond will be released minus certain Court cost and fees. The remaining bond monies will be released to the person who posted the bond approximately two weeks after a defendant is sentenced or the case is dismissed.

Q. Do I have to hire an attorney?
A. Any person may represent himself or herself in a court without a lawyer. However, this does not make the judge or the court’s staff your lawyer. You must perform just like a lawyer would perform in gathering evidence and other pertinent information. Neither the Judge nor the court's staff can assist you in preparing or presenting your case. The laws and the rules of evidence remain the same whether you are represented by a lawyer or you represent yourself. The self-help website address is: http://www.in.gov/judiciary/selfservice

If you cannot afford an attorney, you may contact the following places to apply for free legal assistance:

Legal Services, Inc.
3303 Plaza Drive, Suite 5
New Albany , IN 47150
(812) 945-4123

Legal Volunteers
406 Pearl Street
New Albany , IN 47150
(812) 949-2292

Q. How do I get a continuance of a court date if I don't have an attorney?
A. You need to request the continuance in writing prior to the court date and provide a copy of that request to the all parties in the case. Clearly explain your reasons for the request. Your current address and a phone number should be provided to the Court. You should then contact the Court to see if the continuance has been granted.

Q. Who can apply for an Emergency Protection Order?
A. Anyone can apply for an Emergency Protective Order; however, you must have a relationship with the person you are requesting protection from. The only exception is if a person is stalking you. Additionally, you must have the date of birth and/or the Social Security Number of the person against whom you are seeking protection.

Q. How do I apply for an Emergency Protection Order?
A. You need to obtain the forms from the County Clerk’s Office and they will direct you to the appropriate Court for review.

Q. How do I dismiss an Emergency Protection Order?
A. You must fill out a form requesting the dismissal and attend the Choices Classes at the Center for Women & Families. You may contact them at (812) 944-6743 for more information and a schedule of meeting times.


Floyd Circuit Court Judges:

J. Terrence Cody

Henry N. Leist

David W. Crumbo

Paul J. Tegart

D. Kirk Hedden

John M. Paris

George B. McIntyre

William C. Utz

Jacob Herter

George B. Cardwell

George W. Howk

George A. Bicknell

Floyd County Circuit Court
311 Hauss Square
Room 413
New Albany IN 47150

Monday-Friday 8am - 4pm
Closed for lunch 12-1pm

Holiday Calendar

Need driving directions to this office?

Fax #812-948-

Hon. J. Terrence Cody
Judge, Floyd Circuit Court

Pamela S. Lieber
Official Court Reporter, Baliff &
Law Library Clerk

Lauren E. Brown
Official Court Reporter &

Lisa G. Stocksdale
Official Court Reporter &
Assistant Baliff

Abby Newton
Official Court Reporter, Administrative Assistant and Assistant Bailiff

Floyd County Public Defenders Office

Pay Court Costs Online

Kristen Striegel- Jury Administrator
Jury Duty Phone #812-981-2761

Local Civil Rules

Local Criminal Rules

Local Family Rules

Parenting Time Guidelines

Notice of Local Rule amendment
for the Courts of Record

Indiana Self-Suffciency Legal Center

Indiana Civil Protection Order

Indiana No Contact Order

Workplace Violence Restraining Orders

Child Support Guidelines

Child Support Calculator